Craniosacral therapy (CST) is a gentle, hands on, therapeutic technique that releases restrictions and restores normal movement to the body’s fascia. The fascia is a thick connective tissue layer that encompasses every organ, bone and muscle, including the brain, spinal cord, and nervous tissue. Normally, the fascia acts as a protective coating around these tissues while allowing the natural movements (flow of cerebrospinal fluid, muscle contraction and relaxation, etc…) of the body to occur beneath it. When the body undergoes physical injury or repeated stress, the fascia can become thickened and “sticky” causing it to adhere to the surrounding tissues and restrict those natural movements.
Craniosacral work is a non-invasive approach that focuses on the Craniosacral system of the body. It has been effective in evaluating and treating problems associated with pain, dysfunction and stress, as well as lowered vitality. Newborns may experience trauma to their system during the birth process, and this can manifest itself in colic, breathing difficulty, swallowing problems, and chronic ear infections. Craniosacral therapy can address the problems as they occur, but can also be used preventatively. Infants and children are exceptional candidates for craniosacral treatment as they are typically very receptive to the gentle manipulations and the bones of their heads are still not fused solidly together.
During a CST session the practitioner uses specific contacts on the cranial bones and sacrum checking for restriction of the fascia. Then using a light touch no more than the weight of a nickel, works with the body to release those restrictions. CST can be beneficial for many conditions including, but not limited to:
- pregnancy > balances the fascia of the uterus & pelvis.
- birth trauma > releases restriction between bones of the skull from excessive moulding during birth, or injury caused by vacuum or forceps extraction.
- colic & infantile reflux > reduce restriction of fascia around musculature of the abdomen related to digestive problems.
- torticollis > reduces restrictions in the fascia of the musculature of the neck.
- headache > Reduce restriction between cranial bones and musculature of the neck, head and face.
- muscle, nec & back pain, fibromyalgia > reduce fascial restrictions around spasmed muscles.
- TMJ problems > reduce fascial restrictions around temporomandibular joint, facial bones and musculature.
Contact our offices for more information and to make an appointment for Craniosacral work.